Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Graduation Sunday 2012 at St George Houston

As a Youth Director, I'm often asked, "why did you do _____ this way?" or "how come you choose that _____?" There are many decisions you just have to make on your own; go with your gut!

One such occasion where decision-making is "key" is our annual Graduation Sunday at St George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Houston, TX. Following Liturgy, we recognize the graduates from our parish community (I'm sure your parish has a similar event) and we host a Coffee Hour in honor of our graduates, providing graduation cakes for all.

Cakes for Graduation Sunday at St George Houston
The past four years, I've purchased the cakes at a local bakery for this event. I've always gotten the same two color icings for the cakes: green and blue. Last year, I was going over the logistics for Graduation Sunday with our former parish priest, V Rev Fr John Salem (now at St Elijah Orthodox Church in OKC). He asked what color icing I was ordering for the cakes, to which I replied, "green and blue." Fr John asked why those colors, pointing out that I did the same the previous year. I laughed and told him those are the colors of my alma maters: Trinity High School & University of Kentucky!
                 

Image Source & Source

In my mind: If I order the cakes, I pick the colors!

Congratulations to all the St George Houston graduates of 2012!

- A Day in the Life of the Youth Director

No comments: