Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Monday Morning Quarterbacking" - Low Turnout at Events

I must confess that I get easily discouraged when I feel there is a lack of participation at some of our activities.  We have numerous activities each month at St. George Houston, as well as with the ministry programs for our teenagers, college students, and young adults.

As the Youth Director, its literally "my job" to run these programs, which include setting up activities.  And although the monthly calendar is full, especially with Great Lent upon us (averaging 5 days per week of liturgical services), we still add to it.

When I do feel this discouragement, I begin to offer my own "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" and go through a range of emotions, including, but limited to:  frustration, disappointment, and confusion.  I ask myself, "where did I go wrong?" OR "why didn't it work out like I planned?" OR "why don't others think it's important to show up?"

Again, I must admit, it can get pretty bad. 

I remind myself of two very important things; focusing on each concept in the hopes of calming down, lowering expectations of others, and keeping the strong desire to do better next time:

"For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, I am there in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20).

"Don't get so upset over it, I mean really, even our Lord only walked around with 12 Disciples." - an anonymous clergyman

- A Day in the Life of the Youth Director

No comments: