Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Basketball Superfan's Dilemma

Simply put, I bleed blue! 

If you are a sports fan, then you know the reference.  As a graduate of the University of Kentucky and having the great Commonwealth of Kentucky as my home, Kentucky athletics - basketball is a huge part of my life! 


I watch their games on TV, pay attention to any national press, brag to my friends about how great we are, and wear plenty of UK gear (t-shirts, shorts, sweaters, socks, etc.) while strongly encourage those watching games with me to wear the same apparel. 
This upcoming weekend (April 1-4) is the ultimate college basketball weekend - NCAA Final Four 2011...and its being played in HOUSTON, TX (where I live)!


My dilemma is as follows:

This weekend I will be taking a group of teens from our parish to a Retreat Center (John Knox Ranch) near Austin, TX for a DOWAMA SOYO Lenten Retreat.  So, I'll be out of town when my beloved Kentucky Wildcats come to Houston in the hopes of winning a National Championship!

If sports aren't your thing, you're probably thinking: what's this guy's problem?  But if you can relate in anyway, please keep my suffering in mind.  Since it's Great Lent, I guess I should practice what I preach to my teens:  Great Lent is a time for us, as Orthodox Christians, to refocus our life in Christ.  "Less Me and More Him!"

Oh, and of course...GO BIG BLUE!

- A Day in the Life of the Youth Director

1 comment:

Unknown said...

now THAT is a dilemma. GO CATS!