Monday, January 24, 2011

Against Abortion: "Before you were born, I sanctified you..."

Today, January 24th is the annual March for Life held in Washington, D.C. and Orthodox Christians will be participating again this year. The March for Life is an annual "protest" by U.S. citizens against the Supreme Court decision of Roe v. Wade (1973) which legalized the practice of abortion. 

It is a wonderful concept to actively participate in such causes as free citizens of this great land, especially in regards to your Faith and beliefs. While the controversy of abortion is but one of many social and morals issues facing us today, it's understanding from an Orthodox Christian perspective is greatly needed.

During Sunday School yesterday, our class discussed at great length the issue of abortion. I began the class by stating the following:  "I'm no expert on moral issues, especially such that have numerous  perspectives with regard to the medical field, science, technology, sociology, and ethics. But its important to research subjects and have informed opinions."

An article which I found to be extremely helpful is "An Orthodox Perspective on Abortion" written by Fr. Joseph O'Brien and can be found HERE.

Orthodox Peace Fellowship offers a great deal of articles and helpful information on the issue of abortion and numerous other issues.

Visitation of Mary with Elizabeth

























Icon Source

"Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Judah, and entered into the house of Zachariasand greeted Elizabeth. And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. Blessed is she who believed, for there shall be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord'" (Luke 1:39-45).

"Thus the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born, I sanctified you.  I established you a prophet to the nations'" (Jeremiah 1: 4,5).

- A Day in the Life of the Youth Director

No comments: