Saturday, July 26, 2008

Who's #1?


Yesterday, I received the long-awaited letter from St. Vladimir's Orthodox Seminary in Crestwood, NY, which informed me that I had been accepted into the school for the fall of 2008. (For those of y'all who don't know what a seminary is, it is a school that offers a 3-year graduate degree program which is mainly intended to train young men who want to become priests in the Orthodox Church.)
.
When I got the letter, what was the first thing I did? Well, I'll tell you what I didn't do. I didn't thank God at first. I should have. I should have turned to the icon of Christ immediately upon reading the letter, and said to Him, "Thank you, Lord."
.
I should have made God #1.
.
Instead, in my excitement, I tore open the envelope, and read the letter. I yelled out loud out of sheer happiness & joy. I called my parents. I told my wife. I informed my brother and texted all of SOYO to share the news.
.
But the only thing I forgot to do was to make God #1.
.
Eventually, after the initial excitement wore off, I remember the Lord. It took my a while to remember to thank Him, even though He never forgot me for one second.
We're all guilty of putting God aside, myself included, as you can see. My prayer is that from now on, I (and you as well) will put God first.
.
God is #1.

No comments: