Monday, October 3, 2011

Orthodox Prayer "at the Bowing of Heads"

During the Vespers service, we hear: "Let us bow our heads to the Lord."  We respond, "To Thee, O Lord."  And then the priest recites the following prayer:

"O Lord our God, who didst bow the heavens and come down for the salvation of mankind, look down upon thy servants and upon thine inheritance. Unto thee, the fearful Judge who lovest man, have thy servants bowed their heads and submissively inclined their necks, awaiting not help from man, but entreating Thy mercy and looking confidently for Thy salvation. Keep them at all times, both during this present evening and the approaching night, from every enemy, from every adverse power of the Devil, and from vain thoughts and evil imaginations."

This prayer offers a great deal of insight into our need for God and His divine help.  Although within the context of this prayer, it seems that we are helpless and have no control over our own lives, I can't help but be reminded of the biblical quote: "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

My strength lies within Christ; He alone gives me gifts and talents I possess. Through His grace and blessing, I can perservere through the struggles of my life. If I keep my focus on Him (living a Christ-centered life, and not live selfishly) I can look "confidently for Thy salvation."

Our constant need is Christ, the Anchor which sustains us through the stormy seas of life.

- A Day in the Life of the Youth Director

No comments: